MONDAY 5 AUGUST 2019
NORTH HERTFORDSHIRE COLLEGE TO REDEVELOP HITCHIN CAMPUS SPORTS FACILITIES
North Hertfordshire College (NHC) has announced today that it will invest over £5m in developing new sports and teaching facilities for student and community use.
NHC will shortly launch a public consultation on plans to redevelop parts of its Hitchin campus to deliver upgraded sports and educational facilities while also providing much needed new housing for the local area.
NHC’s plans include a new multi-purpose sports hall and changing areas, a new 3G football pitch and sports science teaching facilities.
These upgraded facilities will help meet the demands of the local economy now and in the future. NHC students will gain the skills and competitive edge they need to gain employment in the sports and leisure industries – thriving sectors with lots of job opportunities and further growth potential over the next few years.
NHC has partnered with CALA Homes (North Home Counties) to fund the development through the sale of a portion of land at the Hitchin campus. CALA will create new homes on the campus site, including areas of public open space.
CALA were appointed, following a competitive process, due to their track record in providing well designed, high quality homes.
Kit Davies, Principal of North Hertfordshire College, said:
“Our ageing sports facilities at the Hitchin campus are nearly 50 years old and in urgent need of replacement. Our proposals will provide much needed industry-standard facilities for our students and for the local community, as well as meeting the local demand for new homes.
“We believe this investment is necessary if the College is to remain successful and continue to provide a high quality educational experience for our students.
“We are proud that the College has been at the centre of Hitchin life for many years and is one of the town’s biggest employers. It is therefore critical for us that we proceed with sensitivity and listen carefully to all viewpoints as we move forward. We will work closely with our neighbours as we develop our proposals further, so we have a plan that works for our students and for the community.”
Jim Brunt, Land Director at CALA Homes (North Home Counties), said:
“We are delighted to have been selected to play an integral part in facilitating the creation of this brand new multi-purpose sports facility at North Hertfordshire College, which will have long lasting benefits for the local community.
“We are currently working on our development proposal which will include a range of new homes and public open space, and plan to present this to local residents for feedback in due course.”
One of the beneficiaries of the investment will be Hitchin Town Youth Football Club. A partnership with NHC will give the club a home from which it can build and develop the work it does in the community.
Paul Males, Club Chairman, said:
“Hitchin Town Youth Is a community club. We support young people from 7 through to 17 years of age. A multi-million pound investment in new sports facilities is great news for the club and for young people in the town. It will give the club its first home and will ensure our players and their families benefit from everything the College can bring to the community.
“There is a long way to go but it is exciting news for everyone involved in and associated with Hitchin Town Youth.”
Hitchin Town Youth Football Club is run by a network of volunteers who support the sporting passions of nearly 500 young people from Hitchin and the surrounding villages.
The first public consultation will take place on Monday 9 September 2019 between 3pm and 8pm at the NHC Sports Hall on the Hitchin Campus, Cambridge Road, Hitchin, SG4 0JD.
The aim is to submit a planning application by the end of the year.
Notes to editors
- North Hertfordshire College is an occupationally-focussed further education college with campuses in Stevenage and Hitchin. It delivers full and part-time programmes to meet the current and future demands of the local economy across several sectors: business and financial services; the creative industries; engineering and construction; health and social care; technology; sport and leisure; and, hospitality and catering. We also deliver programmes for students who need additional support to complete their studies.
- In the 2018/19 academic year, there were 3,640 students enrolled at NHC with 1,190 at Hitchin. There are 83 full or FTE staff employed at the Hitchin campus.
- In their November 2017 inspection report, Ofsted judged NHC to be ‘Good’ with its supported studies and traineeship employability programmes rated Outstanding.
- In 2019, NHC ranked fifth best in the country and first in Hertfordshire for overall student satisfaction, according to an annual Government commissioned survey of all FE learners.
- CALA Homes, part of the CALA Group, is a major UK home builder focused on building well-designed, high quality homes in prime locations throughout the South of England, the Midlands and Scotland.
- In the 18 months to December 2018, CALA sold over 3,000 homes and announced record profit before tax of £122.4m and also record revenues of £1,220.8m.
- CALA has a strong pipeline of land with an owned and contracted land bank of over 17,000 homes.
- CALA employs more than 1,000 people across 10 offices and more than 70 developments
- CALA Homes has received the maximum 5 Star rating in the Home Builders Federation’s National New Homes Customer Satisfaction Survey for 2019. On average over the past 10 years, the independent survey has found that more than 93% of our customers would recommend CALA to a friend.
- In 2017, and for the second consecutive year, CALA has collected the Silver award for ‘Best Large Housebuilder’ at the WhatHouse? Awards. At the 2018 Scottish Home Awards, CALA received the Customer Service Excellence Award for the third year running. In 2019, CALA was named Home Builder of the Year at the Homes for Scotland Awards.
- CALA is proud to be a Gold Patron of the Prince’s Trust, our national charity partner since 2015.
- In March 2018, CALA Group was acquired by Legal & General Group, the insurance, savings and investment management company.
- CALA started as the City of Aberdeen Land Association in 1875 and was the first Scottish company listed on the London Stock Market. As CALA is an acronym it is always reproduced in upper case.
- For further information visit cala.co.uk