THURSDAY 23 JANUARY 2020
PLANNING APPLICATION UPDATE
North Hertfordshire College (NHC) and CALA Homes submitted a planning application in December 2019 seeking planning approval for its proposals to modernise the sports facilities at the college’s Hitchin campus; and, create new homes on a portion of land at the site.
The application has now been published on the North Hertfordshire District Council website and is under consideration.
The application can be viewed here. Reference: 20/00073/FP
The planning application includes the following updates since NHC and CALA Homes held the last public consultation event in October:
- Number of homes. The application includes proposals for 116 new homes, fewer homes than originally proposed. A proportion of these new homes will be allocated as affordable housing.
- Protecting the environment. We are proposing to install solar panels and heat pumps in the new sports hall
- Traffic management. We are proposing to upgrade the existing college access on Cambridge Road to provide a ghosted right turn junction, to improve safety and capacity on the road and provide an informal crossing point for pedestrians.
- Footpaths. As requested by planning officers at the Council, the planning application includes two footpaths from the residential development to Chaucer Way and Campbell Close to improve access and connectivity between the new development and surrounding areas.
- New opening hours for the 3G pitch which balance residents’ concerns with the needs of the community. We propose that during the week the pitch is available for use from 9am until 9pm and at weekends from 9am until 4pm on Saturdays and 9am until 2pm on Sundays (12pm during July and August).
As part of the planning process the Council will:
- Write to all residents adjoining the site giving them 21 days to comment on the application.
- Erect a site notice or notices outside the site. The site notice will give a 21 day period for comment from the point at which the notice is displayed.
- Place an advert in the public notices section of the Comet newspaper which will give a 21 day period for comment.
- Undertake consultation with all statutory consultees such as the Environment Agency, Hertfordshire Highways and Sport England.
All comments on the planning application should be sent to the Council, not the college, and any questions about the formal consultation process should be directed to the Council.
We will publish the date of the planning committee meeting on our website when it is confirmed by the Council.