What is the consultation process?
We have been engaging with a wide group of stakeholders including sports users, students, local councillors and those who live near our Hitchin campus. We invited residents who live on roads next to our campus to a workshop in August to discuss the proposed design. We held larger public consultation events for all interested parties on Monday 9 September 2019 and Monday 21 October 2019 at the Sports Hall on our Hitchin campus.
Our aim is to submit a planning application to North Hertfordshire District Council in December 2019. Once the planning application has been submitted to the Council and processed, the Council will notify local residents and stakeholders and outline the consultation process that they will be conducting. Interested parties will be able to view the planning application on the Council’s website here.
Once the application has been processed (we do not know if this will happen before Christmas or not), we will post information on this website.
When will construction start?
When can we see detailed plans?
How many houses will be built?
CALA Homes expect to build around 120 new homes on the site. It will include a range of house types that complement the character of the local area, taking into account housing need.
For further questions on the housing development, you can fill out a contact form on CALA’s website here.
Where on the site will the houses be built?
The South East end of the site.
Where will the access point be to the housing development?
Are the sports pitches being replaced?
- A new upgraded 3G football pitch will replace the existing pitch. The new facility will meet the needs of the modern sports curriculum and will be available for community use.
- The other pitches will not be replaced on site but we will be contributing to the improvement of playing pitch facilities in the local area, including the creation of a further 3G pitch at the Priory School, subject to planning permission.
Will there be an additional playing pitch at the Priory?
Subject to planning permission, we have agreed with the Priory School to create an additional 3G pitch that will benefit the school and the wider community.
What about noise coming from the new 3G pitch at the Hitchin campus?
Why is this investment necessary?
- The sports hall and playing fields are in urgent need of upgrading. The sports hall is nearly 50 years old, has a leaking roof and does not currently meet the needs of either our students or the local community.
- The new facilities will be industry-standard and will mean that we can provide our students with the skills and competitive edge they need to gain employment in the sports industry – a thriving sector with lots of job opportunities.
- There is also a need for new homes, particularly in the Hitchin area. We’re pleased that the residential development part of this scheme will help address these needs whilst also allowing investment in the college.
- Like all colleges, we have received reduced public funding over a number of years, so this is our best option if we are going to be a successful college over the long term.
How will you manage the increase in traffic in the local area?
What about construction traffic?
- If we are successful in obtaining planning permission, we and CALA will be required to abide by a construction management plan. The details in the plan will be set by the Council but are likely to include the routes construction vehicles will have to take and restrictions on deliveries to the site during particularly busy times of the day. This will aim to keep disruption to a minimum.
- We’d also really welcome suggestions from you about how we can best manage the construction traffic.